Google Street View is awesome! If you haven't used it in your classroom, it's definitely something that you should think about. Google Street View is a great way to incorporate culture into a lesson - ancient ruins such as those from Pompeii are even within Street View's database. This tool allows teachers to bring history and cultural lessons to life via the internet. This is important for foreign language learners because many students may never have the opportunity to visit such historical sites in person. Using Google Street View stimulates learners to be more interested in current lessons and feel more connected to the material.
When I did a thematic unit on Pompeii, I introduced the unit in two ways. First, I showed a painting, L'ultimo Giorno di Pompei (Pompeii's Last Day) and asked students questions about what they saw in the picture - what did they think was happening? What did they think the painting was called? (Students did not know the title of the painting.) Afterwards, I "walked students through" Pompeii via Google Street View.
This can be a great tool for ESL Learners in New York City, too. Nobody is familiar with every borough and area of NYC. Street View is a great way to have students explore and become more familiar with areas, especially if they are new arrivals.
It is really cool that such a thing is so easily accessible and free. I think it is a great educational tool if used properly, and is one that can really facilitate student interest.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.