Khan Academy is a website that allows you to "Watch. Practice. [and] Learn almost anything for free" (Khan Academy, 2012). The key is almost. In all of my searching, I did not find an English section, nevertheless a foreign language one. The closest thing is SAT prep, which is not exactly very useful for ELLs to practice their everyday English language.Overall, though, the website offers an incredible amount of lessons for subjects that range from Art History, to Finance, to Calculus. I clicked on a few lessons in varying subjects, and all of them featured video/audio explanations of a lesson.
I think that this website would be helpful to teachers of science, math, art history, finance, etc, but there really is nothing for English or Foreign Languages. Even all of the SAT prep that I clicked on was practice for the math sections.
A video about evolution and natural selection from Khan Academy's website.
So in short, I think that this website is great and I will tell my friends about it who are going to teach other subjects, but I unfortunately cannot utilize it.
Edit: After reading other people's blogs about Khan Academy, I realized that I needed to go a little bit outside of the box with my thoughts on the website. These videos may be helpful, especially with drawings like the video up above. Videos may be a good review for learners at home. I think that this would most likely best suit advanced ELLs, though.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.