Friday, February 3, 2012

PowerPoint

PowerPoint is one of the most used applications on my computer. I use it both as a student and as a teacher.

PowerPoint would probably be most appropriate for high school and university students, but it may be used in middle school as well.  I have never taught in middle school, but I know that most kids nowadays are extremely good with technology, and pick up how to use technology quickly.  I never used PowerPoint when I was in middle school, and never knew it existed.  We are in the digital age now though, where technology has taken over, so it may be suitable for middle school students to use.  No matter what, it would be appropriate for a teacher to use with students from the middle school to university level, as it is a concise and clear way to explain and breakdown elements that one wants to teach.  It is also great to motivate a lesson with visuals/videos, which can be easily added into the application.

I have probably been using PowerPoint close to seven years now, so I'd say that I'm close to being a pro. PowerPoint has many layouts and templates when creating presentations. The best part is that they have cool effects when you change to the next slide (which is my favorite). Like any other software, it takes some getting used to, but in general, it is user-friendly and easy to navigate.

But - I have had some issues with PowerPoint in the past.  A few times, when I've inserted links and videos, the links didn't work.  This has happened in public schools, where internet access has been lacking or websites have been blocked.  I have also had the videos completely disappear all together when opening it on another computer. Beware when converting PowerPoint files for this reason.

Overall, PowerPoint is a great tool for both student and teacher.  I find that this is a good way to present and breakdown elements that I want to teach for my students.  It also allows me to incorporate visuals, which are great for vocabulary practice (I have used PowerPoint for vocabulary quizzes and sections on a test and it has worked well).   As mentioned in class, it is also a great "crutch" for students to use for class presentations, and helps them to break down their ideas.  A very useful tool, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.